Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

Icelandic Q&A site with Auroracoin bounties

Umræður um verkefni tengd Auroracoin
- Discussion regarding Auroracoin related projects

by Bimmerhead » 06 Dec 2014 04:19

I wanted to share a project I'm working on: www.spurt.is

The idea is to be a general topic Q&A site, with the added ability of questioners being able to set a bounty in AUR to incentivize answerers to provide prompt, high quality responses.

The Q&A functionality is all in place, and I have a developer working on the bounty system.

I welcome any feedback you might have.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by LTEX » 06 Dec 2014 07:14

Wow Bimmer, that looks great! You do move fast man!

As stated before, I like the Q&A idea a lot. It is not only very appealing to participate in but also quite useful. Although I must say I have to improve my Icelandic a bit before I start creating silly answers :lol:
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 06 Dec 2014 17:16

LTEX wrote:As stated before, I like the Q&A idea a lot. It is not only very appealing to participate in but also quite useful. Although I must say I have to improve my Icelandic a bit before I start creating silly answers :lol:

Ah, just view it in Chrome, it will translate it for you!
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 07 Dec 2014 01:20

Just let me know when the time comes. I can get some people asking and answering questions on your site to get things going. Also I can help you to promote it when it is ready.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by sorin » 08 Dec 2014 19:12

Bimmerhead wrote:I wanted to share a project I'm working on: http://www.spurt.is

The idea is to be a general topic Q&A site, with the added ability of questioners being able to set a bounty in AUR to incentivize answerers to provide prompt, high quality responses.

The Q&A functionality is all in place, and I have a developer working on the bounty system.

I welcome any feedback you might have.

If you need help with designing the logo and other graphic elements, PM me.
sorin

by Bimmerhead » 08 Dec 2014 19:35

hi sorin, PM sent
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 11 Dec 2014 19:20

Here are some screenshots from the work in progress to integrate Auroracoin (and bitcoin):

1.png
1.png (235.71 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

3.png
3.png (47.85 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

4.png
4.png (22.56 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

5.png
5.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

6.png
6.png (40.01 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 11 Dec 2014 23:57

Looking good!

This is progressing quite well it seems.
Looking forward to see this in action.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 16 Dec 2014 18:00

New theme is in place and excellent logo designed by Sorin is up.

Still some formatting issues with the rightside column but take a look and tell me what you think - especially what you'd like to see improved.

www.spurt.is
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 16 Dec 2014 23:55

Starting to look quite good. :)

Good job on the logo Sorin, I quite like it.

Since you want to get some pointers on what could be improved, so from the top of my head. :D

1. When you hoover over the logo you get an underline like its a link (probably styled like that). That can easily be changed.

2. I would skip the Twitter and Facebook login buttons in the top and just keep login and register. You already have Facebook and Twitter login buttons after you press the login link. Maybe make them more visible on the login form. Maybe beside the username and password fields. Just an idea.

3. After you log in the greeting and your username is hardly readable. Needs a different colour.

4. The ask now button should be bigger. Should actually be the whole width of the right column. The font just a little bit bitter, mainly just increase the size of the button. This should get everyone's attention.

5. In this theme, I guess the green footer bothers me the most. I think you should have it the same blue you have for the logo and top banner. Remove the "Theme by q2apro" link from the footer. Maybe put something more useful there like contact info, copyright or even a donation address. If you are going to have Twitter, Google+, Facebook pages make sure the icons will have the right links behind them, else remove the icons. Personally I would like to see these icons white with no box around them on the blue background.

6. If you decide to remove the green footer, I would do the same for all the green text on the page. Make the titles and links blue as well.

7. The ask a question input field would take a bit more height and the "Ask a question" label could be inside the input field and disappear when the user starts to type.

8. There is a little bit inconsistency with elements on the page in relation to their corners. In my experience, if you want to achieve a clean professional looking theme you need consistency. Many elements on the page have rounded corners like the "Most active members this week:" module, the search input field, the buttons. Then you have the rest of the page with sharp corners. You would not believe the changes in the feeling of the site if all of these were styled the same.

9. I would replace the rss icon with something more suitable for the theme, one that is not boxed.

10. The editor. I'm sure you can configure it somewhere. I would remove some elements that are only to prevent the site to be properly responsive and elements that are only there to make styling angels cry like font selection, tables, flash and background colours.

11. The "Know someone who can answer?" box. It seems like a duplicate for sharing on the social media and it takes up a lot of space. I would consider removing it. If not then it would need to be styled a bit better.

12. In some pages you have a sub menu, like in unanswered questions and in the users profile. That one needs to be more visible and should not! I repeat not! have purple background.

13. The main menu. I would make the font just a tad bigger, not much but a little bit. Might even have to make the font bold if you make it bigger. Then the main thing there. The shadow, glow or whatever it is when the main menu item is active needs to go. I suggest having some other way of showing what menu item is active.

14. Fonts. Not necessary but it is amazing what just a change of title font can do for a site. Maybe try out some other fonts.

15. Some of the tables in the user profile have the style of pure evil. I would seriously suggest to restyle or at least remove their background colour.

16. By now I'm sure you are thinking. Jesus! doesn't this guy have to go to bed or something but I'm still going to add this last point :) . The icons in the system, the thumbs up and the star for example could be changed. They have a little bit "old system" feeling about them.

Phew!
I think most of these things can be done without much effort. A fairly skilled styler should be able to do this in a short time. Hope this helps though I'm sure you'll think twice before asking for my opinion again. :D
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 17 Dec 2014 03:30

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

Sorin, any suggestions to add?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by sorin » 17 Dec 2014 12:00

Bimmerhead wrote:Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

Sorin, any suggestions to add?

Maybe the layout needs a little bit of connection with the real world.
It could be a picture or a set of nice pictures from Iceland.
Also the "ask now" button is present in two places.
One big yellow "ask now" button and big input field is enough.

Few quick fixes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e1v1uj8cd52e ... m5-xa?dl=0
sorin

by Skarfurinn » 17 Dec 2014 15:10

Actually I don't get this second button when I look at the page. Strange.

One thing I forgot the background colour of the whole page and the background colour of the content area are the same shade of light gray. I would make one of them completely white.

I really like Sorin's suggestions with the pictures in the banner and the gray footer as well.
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by sorin » 17 Dec 2014 15:21

Skarfurinn wrote:Actually I don't get this second button when I look at the page. Strange.

One thing I forgot the background colour of the whole page and the background colour of the content area are the same shade of light gray. I would make one of them completely white.

I really like Sorin's suggestions with the pictures in the banner and the gray footer as well.

I got the same display results with Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
sorin

by Bimmerhead » 24 Dec 2014 03:50

Sorin, would I be able to use that image you suggested?

BTW, the developer has finished the Auroracoin integration, I just need to fully test it.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by sorin » 24 Dec 2014 06:01

Bimmerhead wrote:Sorin, would I be able to use that image you suggested?

BTW, the developer has finished the Auroracoin integration, I just need to fully test it.

It's a flickr image. The photographer need to be asked for permision.
I guess it's more straightforward to just buy one. There are tonnes of sites that provide high quality images at good prices.
If you want I can sugest you some.
sorin

by Bimmerhead » 07 Jan 2015 01:43

Skarfurrin, I've implemented almost all your recommended changes to spurt.is

One thing I haven't done yet is change the star and thumbs-up icons - if anyone has an idea of what to use there let me know.

I like sorin's idea of a picture instead of the blue bar. However I want the site to feel 'busy' with people, so I'm not sure an Icelandic nature scene will achieve that.

I'm thinking more a busy town square or street crossing, ideally from somewhere in Iceland. Thoughts?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by sorin » 07 Jan 2015 11:38

Bimmerhead wrote:Skarfurrin, I've implemented almost all your recommended changes to spurt.is

One thing I haven't done yet is change the star and thumbs-up icons - if anyone has an idea of what to use there let me know.

I like sorin's idea of a picture instead of the blue bar. However I want the site to feel 'busy' with people, so I'm not sure an Icelandic nature scene will achieve that.

I'm thinking more a busy town square or street crossing, ideally from somewhere in Iceland. Thoughts?

I will design new icons for the site.
I agree; a image with a iconic Icelandic building or street, will be more appropriate.
-------
Another design idea is to move the search bar the bing way, (http://www.bing.com/) over the picture.
Too much space is lost for something informal and not functional.
The "ask now" button should standout for the user in less then 3 seconds from the moment he arrive on the page.
-------

The logo is still not well aligned to the content. It should be more on the left side :)
sorin

by Bimmerhead » 07 Jan 2015 13:19

sorin wrote:
I agree; a image with a iconic Icelandic building or street, will be more appropriate.

Thank you!
sorin wrote:
Another design idea is to move the search bar the bing way, (http://www.bing.com/) over the picture.
The "ask now" button should standout for the user in less then 3 seconds from the moment he arrive on the page.

Wouldn't this displace the text explaining how to use the site?

sorin wrote:The logo is still not well aligned to the content. It should be more on the left side :)

I know... I can't figure out the CSS to move it left. I'm a total novice! :oops:
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by sorin » 07 Jan 2015 13:30

Bimmerhead wrote:
sorin wrote:

Thank you!
sorin wrote:

Wouldn't this displace the text explaining how to use the site?

sorin wrote:The logo is still not well aligned to the content. It should be more on the left side :)

I know... I can't figure out the CSS to move it left. I'm a total novice! :oops:

I will make a simulation, just to see if it's working.
sorin

Next

Return to Verkefnin (Projects)