User Menu

Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

human understandable addresses

Umræður um Auroracoin tæknina og tengdum hugbúnaði
- Technical discussion about Auroracoin software and the network in general

by Bimmerhead » 18 Jan 2016 17:08

Standard cryptocurrency addresses are cumbersome and un-memorizable.

There are blockchain-based services that could be helpful in this regard. Onename.io and nameid.org use the bitcoin and namecoin chains respectively to store a users' name and other data such as cryptocurrency addresses.

Namecoin wallet has already implemented a feature whereby you can pay-to-nameid. Auroracoin could also implement this, which would make sense for our non-technical target market.

What are your thoughts on this? Should we tie-in with onename using their api (https://api.onename.com/), build our own onename-type system customized to Icelandic needs using their opensource tool (https://github.com/blockstack/blockstack), or go with NameID?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 17:51

I personally like the open source route! Good plan btw!
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 18 Jan 2016 18:40

Not sure how, but I feel like this could tie in with then kennitala data somehow...
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 18:50

Exactly, that's a unique feature Iceland has that perfectly enables personalization of addresses!
LTEX
Dev team

by Polarbear » 18 Jan 2016 19:21

is multiple unique addressing not one of the fundamental thing of digital currency like aurora? or am i missing a point? through this method you could spy on anyone´s wallet content and transactions... because of the kennitala... through the blockchain explorer.. or what?

I am not undermining the idea, just pointing out potential drawbacks.
Polarbear

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 19:26

I guess it's because we are in this for a while now and anonymity is not the key factor here to us (or at least me). Once Auroracoin "matures" it won't be about that coin that lets you trade anonymously, but rather that coin that transparently stands for it's true value in stead of a fictive value orchestrated by banks...
LTEX
Dev team

by Polarbear » 18 Jan 2016 20:02

Anonymity is one thing, people spying on my wallet balance is another :) I for one hand would not use one address for all my transactions.

This can be easily avoided though... like adding the possibility for people to add maybe between 5 and 500 addresses to their onename ID and then for the service to randomly pick one address to display every time someone probes for an address for somebody... or change once a day or something. just a way to hide the total balance of the wallet would be a selling point for me at least.
Polarbear

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 20:18

There you go ;-)

maybe 5 coupled addresses to your ID to receive and many to pay out....
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 19 Jan 2016 01:47

Hummmm, never thought about the anonymity issue. I agree Polar that is something many people would want to avoid. Have to ponder this some more.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 22 Jan 2016 19:00

I wrote to someone intimately familiar with Namecoin and of course he had already thought of this issue. But no resolution to the anonymity issue yet.

If the nameid is tied to a specific wallet, I wonder that a wallet can't provide random receiving addresses when a request comes in by nameid.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 28 Jan 2016 10:15

First of all I don't think pairing an address/s to kennitala is a good way to go. An email address would be a much better and memorable way to go. I would rather remember [email protected] than 1607732569.

The idea is not bad but you just need to consider it as one easy way of transferring funds between two people rather than a mechanism to contain all your funds. More precisely it would be more like a mobile wallet where you just keep limited funds or just use to receive funds in a simple way like if you need to give someone an address through the phone for example. Then you just have other methods not transparent to everyone to store larger amounts of your funds.

I think the idea is not just good but essential to cryptocurrency evolution. It's a completely different matter if current solutions are feasible future solutions and if it's the right time to implement such a feature into Auroracoin. Raising the discussion is good though.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by BioMike » 04 Feb 2016 22:51

Why not keep both options? The easy memorable for when someone wants to send you money and doesn't care for anonymity (which could be forwarded to a unique address after receipt) and normal addresses for when you want anonymity.

I did however read somewhere once that reusing an address weakens the security of the encryption, which might also not be a good idea to link a name to one address.
BioMike
Dev team

Return to Þróun (Development)