User Menu

Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

skinnable wallet

Umræður um Auroracoin tæknina og tengdum hugbúnaði
- Technical discussion about Auroracoin software and the network in general

by Bimmerhead » 15 Jan 2016 20:22

Came across this idea from a couple years ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251837.10;

As far as I know it still hasn't been done. Would be a nice feature, and a way to engage the broader community who could contribute by designing skins to give away or sell.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 17:49

Seems like a cool idea. Only reservation I would have is that the lack of a standard looking wallet might confuse people and perhaps even aid scammers. What I mean here is that if everyone gets used to the fact all wallets are looking differently because people make their own skins, then it would be hard to identify malicious wallets as well...
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 18 Jan 2016 18:39

Do malicious wallets tend to look different? If I were a scammer wouldn't I make my wallet look as much like the conventional standard as possible?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by LTEX » 18 Jan 2016 18:48

True, it's just a feeling. Being Dutch sensitivity might not be something to go on anyway ;-)
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 22 Jan 2016 19:12

A couple coins have implemented skinnable wallet:

http://gaiaplatform.com/
http://www.gridcoin.us/index.htm
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Soltantgris » 22 Jan 2016 19:22

Always considered most wallet to be ugly and not user friendly. Would like a wallet with some basic animation (let's say some oins flying out when sending, some ''coin sound'' when receiving etc :p. Big buttons, some well looking graphics and, as you present here, some way to customize it.
Soltantgris
rookie

by Polarbear » 24 Jan 2016 13:26

Funny how opinions can be very different between people... :) I *hate* pointless graphics, flying icons and sounds in software and websites (unless its a game). Well constructed and laid out interface that is fast, practical and user friendly is something to strafe for though. I like the QT wallet, I think it is somewhat easy to use although it is very basic... but it could be better of course.
Polarbear

by Skarfurinn » 28 Jan 2016 10:21

If I remember correctly then Flutter coin has done this.

I think this is something we could do when we are at the point that there is nothing essential to develop for the wallets. It's a nice to have that should not take time away from essential development. Can't say that I'm likely to use this myself but I know that this kind of stuff is attractive to amazingly large group of people.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by BioMike » 04 Feb 2016 22:41

In-code the Qt GUI is a big mess and needs badly a clean up (just like the rest of the wallet code). This is already on the planning schedule after the next wallet release. When we are going to clean it up, we can also have a look at redesign of the interface (or maybe have multiple interfaces: a skinable one, an fully-animated one and a boring one (and maybe a fluffy pink pony one)).

This discussion is very welcome to do before we start on that endeavour. GUI mock-ups are even better.
BioMike
Dev team

by Soltantgris » 08 Feb 2016 17:49

I think a lot of people (mostly women and teen) would enjoy some fancy wallet options. For my part, i think that a very user friendly wallet would be welcomed sometime in the future. Like pulling out the geeky aspect of the actual wallets out there. Big buttons, understandable adresses/balances (send to mom, received from Jon, my pay), and visual and auditive stuff helping to get it instantly.

Just an exemple. I've plenty of young employes, they all have cellphone obv. They all enjoy to set their ringtones depending who is calling. It's worthless, but still they like to game with it. Why would it be different with an electronic wallet ?
Soltantgris
rookie

Return to Þróun (Development)