- Technical discussion about Auroracoin software and the network in general

by Bimmerhead » 11 Dec 2014 02:15

Is it safe to say that the Auroracoin API is identical to the Litecoin one:

https://litecoin.info/Litecoin_API

??
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 11 Dec 2014 09:14

I would think it's safe to assume that. It should also be almost identical to Bitcoins API calls.
If you want to be sure on what calls Auroracoin has then you should:

1. Set up a linux box somewhere
  2. Clone the git repository
  3. Build the node from the source
  4. Run "auroracoind --help"

Then you should get a full list of commands that the node supports.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 11 Dec 2014 10:57

Or you could just keep it simple and read the man page :D

https://github.com/baldurodinsson/auror ... bitcoind.1
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by LTEX » 11 Dec 2014 16:53

If it takes servers, I am currently sitting in my office next to a datacenter containing over 200 obsolete ones....
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 11 Dec 2014 18:57

LTEX wrote:If it takes servers, I am currently sitting in my office next to a datacenter containing over 200 obsolete ones....

You mean your office is right beside your Auroracoin mining farm? :)

So I have a developer who is willing to convert this Chrome extension to Auroracoin for me (for a price). But he's asking this question:
The critical point for me as I mentioned is finding the address of server to connect to for the API. Perhaps some exchanges have servers that will handle those transactions. Can you provide that info, of which servers to use?

I don't have the expertise to answer the question. In fact I'm not even sure it is a legitimate question. Can someone help me out here?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 12 Dec 2014 00:39

I took a brief look at the code and it is using the API from blockchain.info. So what he means is that to be able to adapt this code to Auroracoin there needs to be a reliable node running somewhere that offers an remote API that can be called instead of blockchain.info. Actually the API would need to be structured more or less like the blockchain.info API unless more code modifications would be needed.

It would not be a problem to set up a stable reliable Auroracoin node but I don't think we have a web interface for Auroracoin. That means there is no web tools for Auroracoin. You can always call the node by opening a port and make a remote RPC but that is not ideal and would require much more coding work for each project.

JoiBlumen had ported these kind of web tools for Auroracoin from bitpay but that was for the bitcoin core that he had cloned and was modifying for Auroracoin. I'm however not sure that this would not work for the current Auroracoin core. Best ask JoiBlumen about that.

This brings us back to the urgent task of upgrading the Auroracoin code to something that will be used for the foreseeable future.
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 12 Dec 2014 02:36

So are you saying if I were running an Auroracoin node continuously on a VPS that would solve the problem?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 12 Dec 2014 13:50

No. That would not solve the problem. You would need some kind of a web interface running in front of the node.

You of course can modify the code to make a RPC to the node directly but I think that would require a lot! more changes to the code and is not good practise.

So what I'm really saying is that I don't think we have any web interface for Auroracoin and it would be very smart of us to secure that first. As many projects could use that and it would make the coding more easy and remove the requirement of having to have a node running in the background of every project you do.

Like take the Q&A site you are making. For that site to work it needs to be running on the same machine as a full Auroracoin node which takes both resources and space and is not advised to do on a shared hosting server. But if you would have some web interface running in front of a stable node or a cluster of load balanced nodes (for stability) then you would not have to run the node yourself. You could call this web interface any time you needed some services from the node through a RESTful API. That would both be easier for the programmer and you would not require a full running node on your server.

I'm checking with JoiBlumen now what the status on this is. If this exists somewhere for the current Auroracoin core.
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 12 Dec 2014 15:03

So we need something like this: https://github.com/goethewins/EzBitcoin-Api-Wallet

But I imagine that is dependent on things like whether we do merged-mining or not.

Do we need a timeline of 'things that need to happen'?

For example:
1. Foundation meets
2. Decision is made regarding method of securing blockchain
3. Web interface is developed
4. Developers can start building out infrastructure

Is this true? Or can lots of building be done before a decision is made regarding securing the blockchain?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 12 Feb 2015 20:31

Insight API for Auroracoin will shortly be running at:

insight.auroracoin.io

I would like to offer a version in Icelandic. Is anyone willing to undertake a small translation job?

This file: https://github.com/bitpay/insight/blob/master/po/es.po

Replace the Spanish words with Icelandic.

Name your price in AUR.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

Return to Þróun (Development)