Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

Future of Auroracoin

Almenn umræða um allt sem tengist Auroracoin
- General discussion about the Auroracoin ecosystem

by FRogers » 25 Mar 2015 17:36

Hi all,

I'm the owner of the AuroraCoin Pool https://pool.auroracoin.fr.

The last weeks, I have seen that we haven't news from Balduro. So there is a new forum and the .org website is redirectiong on this forum. AuroraCoin is not dead. Good news ?

Today, the Airdrop is closed. I think it's a good news for AuroraCoin.

But, what I need to know is : without Balduro, is it possible to maintain the coin alive ? Will he destroy the premined coins ?
Who makes why now ?

It's very important for me because, one year after the begining of the pool, I need to renew the SSL Certificat. The last year, we have created the pool with Peter2058 (on the old forum) wich is an old german friend. He was the technical guy in the team. Since few, months I maintain the dedicated webserver alone, Peter haven't got the time now.

My part, since the beginning of the Auroracoin, is to pay :lol: :
- One year for the dedicated server : $400
- SSL Certificate 60 or 70$ (I don't remember)
- Hashrate rented to launch the pool (before the fork) : 400$

So, I think it's a lot of money and I need to be sure that the Auroracoin project will continue. No problem to support Auroracoin again but I'm a little worried about the future.
Since 2 weeks, we have a correct hashrate on the pool, but the last weeks we had only between 8 and 25/30 Mh/s.

I want to be optimistic but if you can give me more informations, it will be great.
FRogers

by Bimmerhead » 25 Mar 2015 18:23

Hi FRogers and welcome to the forum.

I don't know if you've been reading the thread at bitcointalk.org but if you have, you would have seen the list of projects related to Auroracoin that have been rolling out over the last 3 months.

It is the intention of several of us here to keep Auroracoin alive and grow it. We were pleased this morning to see that Balduro has redirected auroracoin.org to this website, as he has been not communicating for several months.

An Auroracoin foundation is being setup by Skarfurinn, who also setup this forum. They will then become the lead on core development.

Hope this helps. And I hope you'll join us in growing Auroracoin.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 25 Mar 2015 18:37

Hi FRogers.

Had it on my list to contact you so I'm happy to see you here. :)

Well the coin is far from dead.
Balduro hasn't burned the premine yet but everything is pointing to that he will follow through on that. Yesterday he took down the claim site and redirected the auroracoin.org domain to this forum. So personally I'm optimistic about him following through.

Lately there has been some positive movement on Auroracoin. First being that we are close to updating the core code for Auroracoin to the latest bitcoin core, that should prevent the coin from stalling like it has been doing lately and it will bring tons of added security and features to the coin. I think this is directly related to the problem you have been having because the coin is freezing frequently now. So this is our top priority now.

Next Sunday there will be a meeting here in Iceland to officially form the Auroracoin foundation. So after that the coin will have a face and a real presence which has been lacking.

There have been various projects developed for the coin lately like an api, block explorer, Chrome browser wallet, various forum tip bots for example. So there clearly has been some positive development going on.

Finally there is an exchange with isk - aur trading pair that should see the light of day in 2-3 weeks and that is one of the crucial factors needed for the coin to succeed that was missing when the coin launched.

Regarding your pool (which I actually mined with for a long time). We are at a cross road now regarding what way we will develop the coin. One of the options we were thinking about was to change the coin into a sha-256 coin and merge mine with Bitcoin through Ghash.io. They have actually just responded to us recently and they are willing to do that. The second option we were thinking about would be to develop the coin into a multy- algo coin and that why we would have 5 different hashing algos for the coin. Sha-256 and scrypt would both be present so people would have the possibility to continue to mine those.

So the coin will not stop in development and my believe is that it will only go up from here. Ending the airdrop is an enormous milestone that everyone has been waiting for before they are willing to support the coin. If you continue to support the coin and continue to run your mining pool I think you should consider the fact that you might need to do some changes to adapt to the changes that will come with the coins new core and hashing algorithm/s

I hope this answers some of the questions you have. If you have more questions feel free to post them here and we will do the best we can to answer your question or you can send me a PM if you rather like that.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by FRogers » 25 Mar 2015 21:22

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's a good thing the domain name redirection. Balduro doesn't want to stop the Auroracoin adventure.

Had it on my list to contact you so I'm happy to see you here.

I have seen an email (perhaps you) few months ago about a new website (this one I think) but no time at this moment, lot of work (we need to eat :D)

Lately there has been some positive movement on Auroracoin. First being that we are close to updating the core code for Auroracoin to the latest bitcoin core, that should prevent the coin from stalling like it has been doing lately and it will bring tons of added security and features to the coin. I think this is directly related to the problem you have been having because the coin is freezing frequently now. So this is our top priority now.

Very good news.
I don't know for the other pools, but I'm one of the small pools which is still alive without problems. Few weeks ago, it was very difficult to lost miners because the network hashrate was at 8000 Mhs and no block found in 24h.

Next Sunday there will be a meeting here in Iceland to officially form the Auroracoin foundation. So after that the coin will have a face and a real presence which has been lacking.

Auroracoin Foundation !! Good idea. Hope we will have news on this forum.

There have been various projects developed for the coin lately like an api, block explorer, Chrome browser wallet, various forum tip bots for example. So there clearly has been some positive development going on.

A lot of work :). Development is important for the coin.
Sorry for my "stupid" question, my english isn't perfect. What are tip bots ?

Regarding your pool (which I actually mined with for a long time). We are at a cross road now regarding what way we will develop the coin. One of the options we were thinking about was to change the coin into a sha-256 coin and merge mine with Bitcoin through Ghash.io. They have actually just responded to us recently and they are willing to do that. The second option we were thinking about would be to develop the coin into a multy- algo coin and that why we would have 5 different hashing algos for the coin. Sha-256 and scrypt would both be present so people would have the possibility to continue to mine those.

Good to see that you are an user of my pool :)
For the future changes, I know how to compil the Auroracoind, how to modify/maintain/correct bugs but ifwe have a multi algo coin (are there another coins with this option ??), I don't know how to convert the pool.
If i have the informations not too late, I think it will be possible to make the changes ;)

So the coin will not stop in development and my believe is that it will only go up from here. Ending the airdrop is an enormous milestone that everyone has been waiting for before they are willing to support the coin. If you continue to support the coin and continue to run your mining pool I think you should consider the fact that you might need to do some changes to adapt to the changes that will come with the coins new core and hashing algorithm/s

I was worried, but now, all is ok. The coin is on good hands and on the good way. I will continue to support.
I'm not Icelander but I think it was one of the best idea for an altcoin. The idea was good and Iceland is a country I hope to visit one day :).
I haven't got the time to change the SSL certificate of the pool this week (perhaps friday, but not sure), but the next monday, it will be ok.

I haven't quoted Bimmerhead but thanks again guys for your replys.
FRogers

by Skarfurinn » 26 Mar 2015 00:11

FRogers wrote:For the future changes, I know how to compil the Auroracoind, how to modify/maintain/correct bugs but ifwe have a multi algo coin (are there another coins with this option ??), I don't know how to convert the pool.
If i have the informations not too late, I think it will be possible to make the changes ;)

Well there have been a few coins who have successfully implemented multiple hashing algos.
Myriad was quite successful on this and then we have Digibyte and Saffroncoin. I think that Digibyte based their implementation on the work of Myriad coin with some improvements.

I'm not sure that you would need to do many changes to the pool if you just continue with Scrypt mining. We will have more information about that soon and I'll make sure to keep you posted. If you don't mind then it would be great to get your email. You can send it to me in a PM if you don't mind.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by FRogers » 26 Mar 2015 11:39

If it's possible to continue with scrypt, that's ok for me :)

Thx
FRogers

by LTEX » 26 Mar 2015 14:55

Hey Jérôme?

Nice to see you back! I just upped my donation to 5%, to help you out a bit with the costs. I have been mining dedicated for weeks with you now, so keep up the good work!

We are still very active here and I think we are ate the verge of turning things around for AUR again!

Looking forward to work with you again!

Cheers,

LTEX
A fool will only look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
LTEX
Dev team

by FRogers » 26 Mar 2015 17:07

Hi LTEX,

My name is not Jerome but Florent. I'm not sure but there was an active user named Jerome on the IRC at the beginning of the pool.

Great to see you here, you are an important user on my pool ;) , many thanks :)

Nice to see you back! I just upped my donation to 5%, to help you out a bit with the costs.

Thx again.

To be honnest, the pool haven't got a lot of donations. I have verify the stats since the beginning :
- 110 000 AUR mined
- 348 AUR in donations :lol:

I'm very happy to see that Auroracoin is not dead. The last weeks, I wasn't sure to continue but with all these news, a new forum, an active team, it's sure, Auroracoin will be the coin to follow :)

F.
FRogers

by FRogers » 31 Mar 2015 10:44

Hi all,

Just a small news, I have restarted the Apache server this morning to put the new SSL certificate. Only the website was down for 5 minutes. The mining server was online, so no problem to mine.

F.
FRogers

by LTEX » 31 Mar 2015 10:52

Good job mate! I already invited Some friends over, John is one of them ;-)
LTEX
Dev team

by FRogers » 31 Mar 2015 11:32

Not lot of time this morning (few SSL certificates to renew on different servers) but I have seen new users.

Many thanks LTEX for your help, great to see new miners :)
FRogers

by LTEX » 31 Mar 2015 13:57

FRogers wrote:Not lot of time this morning (few SSL certificates to renew on different servers) but I have seen new users.

Many thanks LTEX for your help, great to see new miners :)

Expect a lot more to come once the new plans roll out...
LTEX
Dev team

Return to Umræðan (General)