User Menu

Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

people on old wallets

Almenn umræða um allt sem tengist Auroracoin
- General discussion about the Auroracoin ecosystem

by Bimmerhead » 20 Mar 2016 23:51

With 20,000+ airdrop customers not having moved their coins. If they suddenly came 'alive' and reconnected to the network, would they be able to send coins to one another but not to people on the new wallet?
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by ny2cafuse » 21 Mar 2016 00:40

If people were still mining on the old wallets(read: forked chain), then they would be able to send between each other. However, they are probably dead in the water right now.

An updated schildbach wallet released as an update to the old wallet would probably solve this issue.

-Fuse
ny2cafuse
Lurker

by Polarbear » 22 Mar 2016 18:42

technically speaking they could export their private keys and import them into a new wallet.... right? or what is the problem? I have a feeling that very large portion of these wallets are paper-wallets.

The ones that actually were mining are technically advanced enough to switch over to the new wallet..
Polarbear

by ny2cafuse » 22 Mar 2016 19:09

From my limited experience with the schildbach wallet, you would export the key, but it would be encrypted via a password. You would need to use openssl via the command line to decrypt the private key before importing into another wallet. It's possible, but I doubt a lot of people are going to know how to do it. We could provide instructions via the main site though for these users.

If the airdrop went to paper wallets, then even better. That's a slam dunk.

Ultimately, an updated schildbach wallet would be optimal. It's on my list of things to investigate, but I will say that I'm in no way, shape, or form an android developer. I've started porting the dgb wallet over, but there are redundancies in the code that have me a little confused. Essentially, all the new schildbach wallets today are built on another coins wallet, that was built on the digitalcoin wallet, which was modified by hashengineering and Ahmed Bodi, which was a port of the original. There are a lot of ownership changes there that all added their own code to their individual projects. I need to sort out what's needed, and what's redundant. We ran into the same thing with the traditional client. We took out a handful of functions and variables that did absolutely nothing but reference themselves. I suspect the schildbach wallet will be similar.

-Fuse
ny2cafuse
Lurker

by Skarfurinn » 22 Mar 2016 22:14

Polarbear wrote:technically speaking they could export their private keys and import them into a new wallet.... right? or what is the problem? I have a feeling that very large portion of these wallets are paper-wallets.

The ones that actually were mining are technically advanced enough to switch over to the new wallet..

I think you are most likely right regarding the paper wallets. Just in the past week a few people contacted me (all over 50) through the foundation asking about their Auroracoin and in all cases people had put their coins on a paper wallet.

It's great to see that a lot of people did that and encouraging to start getting these requests now.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by Soltantgris » 28 Mar 2016 15:25

That show how little user friendly crypto still is. Auto-update, <big button update, password retrieve process, etc ! Everything is way too complicated for uncle Benny or grandma Candy. I think that any improvement should keep this in mind. Changes are made by guys speaking a different language than most of us poor humain ! If the process to recover airdroped coins is so diffcult-uncertain, how can we hope mainstream adoption ?
Soltantgris
rookie

by BioMike » 29 Mar 2016 21:45

Soltantgris wrote:That show how little user friendly crypto still is.

Not only for coins, but crypto in general. Why uses encryption on their email... very few people, but benefits would be great if everyone would use it.
BioMike
Dev team

Return to Umræðan (General)