Search

User Menu

Login

AuroraSpjall

The official Auroracoin discussion board

address alias

Discuss enhancements to Auroracoin core here

by Bimmerhead » 22 Mar 2016 18:03

As has been mentioned before, a system of addressing that is more human-friendly. Like twitter handles.

I think this can be done if the user is also running a Namecoin client on their desktop, but what about a built-in Auroracoin only system. So that I can say to you after we've shared a restaurant meal,

"just send 100 AUR to @bimmerhead"

This could also be done with a centralized system, but I think decentralized would be the way to go.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by BioMike » 22 Mar 2016 22:22

Social networks are popular these days. One idea that I'm currently thinking about is something that I call an "address-chain". You exchange your "profile" with all your friends (face-to-face through a QR code for example). The idea is that you get a friends list, which you can use to pay the friend, but in the background every time a payment is received on an address, a new address is broadcasted for the next payment, signed by the key of the previous address. This way you build a signed, secure address chain, but keep new addresses for each payment. On the front-end you pay the friend, not an address.

This idea could be implemented separate from the main block chain, making it optional for everyone who wants to use it, but does not add extra burden onto the block chain for other users. At some point the network could also look for friends of your friends. Within Iceland I guess you could quickly get a payment dictionary of all the people in Iceland.
BioMike
Dev team

by Bimmerhead » 23 Mar 2016 02:26

That's a great idea, because a problem with current methods like nameid and onename is that you are stuck using one publicly-known address, so your purchase history is out there for everyone to see.
Bimmerhead
Dev team

by Skarfurinn » 16 Apr 2016 12:13

Would this be a centralised service or like a decentralised side chain?
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. - Blaise Pascal
Skarfurinn
Dev team

by BioMike » 16 Apr 2016 16:06

Not sure, you could go both ways, or even hybrid. In a sense, the Waggle functionality in the Hivewallet looks a lot like how this idea would work.
BioMike
Dev team

Return to Auroracoin Core Development